Mid-Contract Termination

“Contract Termination” refers to the dissolution of a University Housing contract prior to its natural expiration. Specifically, a termination occurs anytime a contract ends between its start date (date of assigned entry) and its end date. A termination is different than a cancellation. A cancellation occurs between the date of signing the contract (online housing application) and the start of the contract term (date of assigned entry).

Residents who will not return for Spring semester must vacate by the last day of the fall semester. Vacates after those dates will result in pro-rated Spring Semester charge.

Approved Reasons for Termination

In limited cases, contract termination occurs for an approved reason. Some examples of approved reasons are:

  • graduation;
  • assignment to a University-sponsored internship or other program which requires living outside 35 miles from campus; or
  • withdrawal, transfer or being dismissed by the University.

Financial Difficulty 

Lack of funds alone is not an acceptable basis for termination of your contract.  Financial aid is available to those who qualify. You may still be eligible for Financial Aid even if there is no “need”. Terminations for financial reasons will only be considered when you have experienced a significant change in your financial situation since signing your contract (that is not otherwise rectified). Finances for the academic year should be considered prior to enrollment to the university and signing your University Housing contract.  Late notices or inadequate notice from the Financial Aid Office are not grounds for approved termination. In review of termination request for financial reasons, University Housing relies on the expertise of the Financial Aid Office to determine if you have a sufficient financial aid package to attend Webster University.

Unhappiness with Residence Hall Life

Residence hall living is a new experience for most students and requires a certain amount of adjustment. If you have made a concerted effort to adjust to the residence hall environment and are still unhappy, a community change, such as a room/floor change, or a roommate or suitemate change is generally an effective remedy. If you continue to be unhappy, your Resident Assistant and/or your Community Director are available to work with you on an individual basis to find a solution. This involves and requires your active participation.

Commuting/living off-campus

The choice to commute from the home or live off campus must be made prior to signing the University Housing contract.

Health conditions

Even with medical documentation, most medical conditions DO NOT release you from the contract. Your medical care provider needs to document your medical condition and outline your specific needs. Housing & Residential Life will work with you to manage or remove a particular problem. In review of health conditions, Housing & Residential Life relies on the expertise of the Reeg Academic Resource Center (Reeg ARC) who will review these types of situations and make a recommendation to University Housing.

Before you submit a Contract Termination Request consider the following...

  1. Have you provided documentation supporting your reason for termination

  2. Have you explored all your alternatives?
    • Different roommate
    • Moving to a different environment (room, suite, floor)
    • Different study environment (library, hall/floor lounges, Union, etc.)
    • Single room, if available
  3. Were you aware of the situation before you signed the contract?

  4. Have you provided enough information to allow for a complete understanding of your situation
    • Specific background information.
  5. Have you demonstrated what significant change has occurred in your financial situation and action(s) taken to prevent contract termination?
    • Have you met with your Financial Aid advisor?
    • Have you explored Parent PLUS or alternative loan options?
    • Have you provided sufficient figures regarding your financial picture/situation?
  6. Have you explored other financial alternatives?
    • On and off-campus job(s) status
    • Investigated off-campus expenses (heat, water, cable, internet, travel, etc.)
    • Review of personal expenses for possible reduction
  7. Have you worked with Dining Services to address your dietary needs?

  8. Have you taken any responsibility to resolve or manage the situation:
    • Talked with your roommate/suitemates about your concerns?
    • Talked with RA or Community Director about your situation
    • Explored university resources such as Counseling & Health Services, Financial Aid, etc.

If you feel that pursuing a termination request is the right avenue for your situation, please contact the Housing Office at housing@webster.edu to make an appointment with a professional staff member to discuss what is occurring. These staff members will work with you regarding your situation, and provide you with information pertaining to the termination process/forms, contract termination fees, and your next steps for moving forward.

If you have already met with a professional staff member, and would like to complete a termination request, you can find the application in the Housing Portal. Note that completion of a Request for Termination is not a guarantee that the request will be granted.

Please be aware that approval for a termination does come with contract cancellation fees that are based on the amount of notice provided to the Housing Office based on academic year markers (e.g., FA1, FA2, Semester Break, etc). The fee schedule is as follows - please see the Professional Staff for an understanding of the termination process and what circumstances fall into Category A vs. B:

Termination Schedule