Connections/Office 365 Account
Webster's Microsoft Office 365 subscription gives students, faculty, and staff online access to the Microsoft Office applications from nearly any device. Office 365 will provide many productivity and collaboration services to the Webster University community - online hosted email, shared calendaring, additional online storage with OneDrive, Office in the cloud and so much more.
As a Webster University student, faculty or staff member, you also can download and install the full MS Office suite (includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint) for free on multiple personal devices. You will also gain access to Office 365, the cloud versions of these products, as well as 1 TB of online file storage space in OneDrive. These services will make it much easier to collaborate with your peers and to work from virtually anywhere!
Office 365 also provides important technical tools that Webster Information Technology is adopting, such as user password management and email. For this reason, it is mandatory that you complete the Office 365 registration process.
Follow these steps to register your Office 365 account. If you have problems with this process, please call the IT Service Desk for assistance:
- On Campus: ext. 5995
- Off Campus: 314-968-5995
- Toll-free: 1-866-435-7270
- The Office 365 password you choose in the setup process becomes the password for the Connections portal and applications accessed through it. For a complete list of applications that now use this password, click here.
Let's get started! Just 4 steps.
- SIGN IN FOR THE FIRST TIME: Go to the Office 365 sign-in page at portal.office.com and sign in with these credentials:
- Username: Your Webster email address
- Password: Your default temporary password will either be:
A. Your first initial capitalized, last initial lowercase, your Webster ID number, and a # sign. (for example Kc1234567#)
B. Your 7-digit Student, Staff or Faculty ID number
If you try both password options but neither one works, please call the Webster University IT Service Desk.
- CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD: After logging in for the first time with your default/temporary password, you will
receive a message that your password has expired and needs to be updated. Please do
1. Make sure your full Webster email address appears in the first box (including the @webster.edu)
2. Re-enter your temporary/default password in the second box
3. Type in a new password for your account. Please note it must meet the criteria listed on the bottom of the page
4. Retype in your new password to confirm
5. Click Submit
- Your new password should be at least 12 characters long, contain both capital and lower case letters, a number, and one special character. For complete details about Webster's password policy, view it here.
- Remember, the Office 365 password you set becomes the password for the Connections portal and applications accessed through it, and your Webster email. For a complete list of applications that now use this password, click here.
- SET UP YOUR SECURITY OPTION(S): When logging in to https://portal.office.com for the first time, you will be taken
to a More Information Required screen to set up a security/recovery option for your account. Click the Next button.
It will default to asking if you want to download Microsoft Authenticator. This would
require downloading the App from the Apple or Google Play store on a smartphone. If
you do not wish to do this, please instead click on the link that says "I want to
set up a different method". This will then allow you to choose to call/text a mobile
number, email an alternate email address or set up security questions. Choose your
desired option and follow the instructions. If you choose the phone number or email
address you will be sent a 6 digit code you will need to type in to verify. It is
important not to click the Skip button on this window or it will prevent you from
being able to reset your own password in the future.
If you are not prompted to set up a security option, please go to the security options page. You can also go here to set up one more than one security method (recommended)
- LOG ON TO CONNECTIONS: Verify you can log on to the Connections Portal:
1. Go to https://connections.webster.edu
2. Enter your username in the first box. Do NOT include the @webster.edu or you will receive an error. (i.e. joesmith)
3. Click Login
For the best meeting experience, please plan to download and install the latest Zoom client on your local computer in advance of hosting or joining your first meeting. To do this, please follow the steps below:
- Open a web browser and go to https://webster-edu.zoom.us/download
- Click on the Download button under Zoom Client for Meetings
- Save the installer file and run the file after download is complete. Select/confirm Run or Install if prompted.
- Click the Sign In with SSO button (Single Sign-On). Do not try to enter you email and password into the boxes on the left or you will receive an error.
- You will then be prompted to enter your company domain into the provided box. Type
in webster-edu as shown in the image below and then click Continue.
NOTE: You may also click on "I do not know the company domain" to enter your Webster email address and it will link you to the correct domain.
- You will automatically be redirected to a Webster University sign in page. Please enter your full Webster email address and password (including the @webster.edu). Once you click Sign in, you may have to click on an Open Zoom button if your browser prompts you to do so. This will then load the desktop client fully for you and will look like the screen below.
You can manage your account settings and preferences by logging in to Zoom from a web browser. You can also set up meetings via the web site.
- Go to https://webster-edu.zoom.us
- Click on the Sign In button
- You will automatically be redirected to a Webster University sign in page. Please enter your full Webster email address and password (including the @webster.edu) and click Sign in.
- You will be logged in to your online account where you can manage your personal profile, meetings and settings.
System Requirements - Click here to view knowledge article on system and browser requirements for the Zoom client
Please be sure to check out our Resources page for more in depth resources and support options.
- Zoom Meetings Interface - Download this PDF for a quick overview of the Zoom meetings interface
- Getting Started with Zoom Meetings: The Basics - 30 minute overview covering the basic need-to-knows for Zoom Meetings. If you want a more interactive session to be able to ask your own questions, click here to register for live training instead.
Please note not all features referenced may be available in our enterprise version of Zoom.