Webster University's audio education combines a practical approach with history and theory, ensuring students have the skills and knowledge to work in any field of the audio industry. BA in Audio in Media Arts students will learn about audio as it relates to all media, and they will work with professional-grade equipment. Audio in Media Arts majors and minors produce music recordings, radio spots, run live sound for concerts, learn sound design and mix audio for video and film throughout their time at Webster.
Webster students often complete internships as part of their audio production degree and they have earned internships at major recording studios, sound reinforcement companies and radio stations across the country. The faculty are professionals working in their field as well as educators.
Sverdrup West Wing Remodeling
The west wing of Sverdrup will be rebuilt as a state-of-the-art media production and communication education facility, providing our students the most up-to-date and unique technology in the entire region.
Learn more about the Sverdrup renovations including plans, progress updates, room relocations, and more.
Learn Creative and Technical Skills
Webster's Bachelor of Arts in Audio in Media Arts is designed for students who are interested in exploring the use of audio in all forms of media. This degree provides students with opportunities that include working with audio for film, television, video, animation, game design and interactive media.
While emphasizing audio for forms of visual media, this program also provides opportunities to work with radio, podcasting, live audio and music production.
BA in Audio in Media Arts
Find out more about the overall curriculum, electives, learning outcomes and more.
Successful Alumni with a Degree in Audio Production Include:
- Bruce Buechner, audio engineer for Snoop Dogg, Ruben Studdard, Christina Milan, Lil Jon, Jamie Foxx and Mary J. Blige.
- Matt "Buster" Allen, audio engineer for Garth Brooks.
- Brian Barrale, Los Angeles-based composer and arranger for "Aliens of the Deep," "Heart of the Beholder," and "Nancy Drew: The Secret of Shadow Ranch."
- Chelsea (VandeDrink) Crutcher, recording engineer for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.
Add the Audio in Media Arts Minor to Your Degree
Designed for students outside the department who wish to study audio with a focus on media production, students will learn to:
- Mix a sound design for a visual media-based project at an intermediate level.
- Operate boom microphone and record on a film shoot.
- Create Foley effects in synch with motion picture.
- Capture, edit and manipulate a collection of vocal performance recordings to produce a usable dialog track.
Get Started on Your Program
Take the next step toward earning your degree. We are here to help.
Connect with Us
In the News: Belo, Schuster, Chess, Rothenbuhler, Cummings, Smith and More
September 23, 2022
This is a regular update of significant mentions of Webster University in the news media. This dispatch includes Professor...
Several Gorloks Nominated for Regional Emmys
September 13, 2022
Webster's School of Communications to Host St. Louis Police and Youth Game Jam on Oct. 1
September 13, 2022