Exhibitions in the May Gallery last approximately four weeks (depending on the academic
calendar). Proposals are accepted year-round, and normally are considered for scheduling
two to four years following their acceptance, depending on how far into the future
the gallery is currently scheduled. The May Gallery is dedicated to showing a wide
range of photographic work, so successful proposals relate to some photographic process.
Exhibition proposals may be made by an individual or a group, but should make appropriate
use of the gallery space. The gallery has almost 160 running feet of wall space, although
it is divided into 10 distinct sections. A schematic drawing of the space can be helpful
for planning. Exhibitions that will not substantially fill the gallery are not considered.
Proposals Must Include
- Name(s) of photographer(s).
- All contact information.
- Résumé(s), including information about any prior exhibitions of the work proposed.
- A brief statement about the work, both in terms of content and process (for the consideration
of the gallery review committee; if the proposal is accepted, this statement will
not necessarily be for public use).
- Examples of the work proposed for exhibition in one of the following formats (listed
in the order preferred):
- A CD or DVD containing images. This is the preferred format. (The gallery review committee
normally views submissions using a slideshow generated by Adobe Bridge, so placing
all image files in one folder is to your advantage); or
- The exact URL of a portfolio of the images proposed.
- Image sizes, and outer dimensions of the work proposed as it would be displayed in
the gallery. (Cover glass is normally provided by the Gallery, but framed work can
be accepted by prior arrangement.)
Send Proposals To
May Gallery Review Committee
School of Communications
470 East Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis MO 63119-3194
Receipt of proposals will be acknowledged, but materials will not be returned. Proposals
are reviewed in November and April for future exhibitions.
All images appearing on this webpage are copyright of the photographers.