Promoting effective learning and communication strategies, students earning a Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) help non-native English speakers develop their language skills.
Webster also offers a combined undergraduate/graduate degree program leading to teacher certification in elementary education at the end of the BA program and upon completion of the MA in TESL, the candidate is eligible for certification in ESOL.
The TESL graduate program is designed for education professionals with or without teaching experience. Educators with a teaching license have the opportunity to enhance their knowledge of teaching K-12 English language learners and other professionals without teaching credentials may study in this program to become future educators of adult learners.
While pursuing the master’s degree in TESL, graduate students refine their knowledge of the English language system and second language acquisition. They study phonology, dialects and legal policies that influence the teaching standards. Webster TESL students also focus on theory regarding culture, language structure and teaching methodologies to ensure that they will become influential teachers in the future.
Partnership with Uzbekistan State University of World Languages
Webster University in partnership with Uzbekistan State University of World Languages, International Relations Department is now offering the MA in TESL locally in Tashkent, Republic of Uzbekistan, utilizing the same highly recognized American academic curriculum.
TESL Points of Distinction
- Webster's ESL classes use a four-skills communicative approach to learning language. Classes are interactive, lively and small to encourage more participation and to give instructors more time with each student.
- Instructors have master's degrees, most in TESL/TEFL. Many work as a teacher trainers, and have years of experience teaching English both in the U.S. and abroad.
- Many technological tools are available for language learning, including blogs, electronic classrooms, online discussion tools and video and audio equipment.
- Webster University's worldwide context allows interaction with learners from around the world through online education and/or study at one of the university's many international campuses.
TESL Academic Programs
To read about specific program requirements, learning outcomes and how to apply, click on a program from the following list:
- Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language (MA)
- Combined Degree: Education (BA) with an Emphasis in Elementary Education/Teaching English as a Second Language (MA)
- Combined Degree: Education (BA) with an Emphasis in Secondary English/Teaching English as a Second Language (MA)
Become a Gorlok
Whether you’re seeking an undergraduate or graduate degree, we'll help you achieve academic excellence preparing you for future career successes. The first step is to fill out our application.
Learn more about our accreditation, which applies to all of our campuses, regionally and beyond.
Find out how we support the more than 50% of undergraduates who transfer into our community.