In studying ethics, students have the opportunity to reflect on matters of pressing importance, to anticipate and respond to moral dilemmas and to think deeply about what kind of life one ought to lead.
The Practical & Interdisciplinary Ethics certificate program provides undergraduate students the opportunity to identify a concentration in the study of ethics. The certificate allows students to analyze the moral issues that arise in various disciplines, fields, and professions, and sharpens their analytical skills by providing them with a solid foundation in ethical theory. The certificate program is open to any Webster University student, as well as to individuals not currently enrolled who meet the general requirements for admission to the University.
Topics explored in the Practical & Interdisciplinary Ethics program:
- Should we pursue research on stem cells?
- How much truth is required in advertising?
- Is affirmative action necessary?
- Is same-sex marriage a civil right?
- Should we allow testing on animals?
- Should companies read employees' email?
- Is globalization good for the environment?
- Does the death penalty bring about justice?
Practical & Interdisciplinary Ethics graduates are able to:
- Analyze ethical issues from the perspectives of various disciplines, professions, and cultures
- Assure potential employers that you have considered the ethical aspects of professional conduct
- Gain a greater awareness of ethical issues.
- Apply your academic work to community projects and service
- Enhance your academic work with community service
- Vote and shape public policy in an informed and thoughtful manner
Practical and Interdisciplinary Ethics Academic Programs
To read about specific program requirements, learning outcomes and how to apply, click on a program from the following list:
Become a Gorlok
Whether you’re seeking an undergraduate or graduate degree, we'll help you achieve academic excellence preparing you for future career successes. The first step is to fill out our application.
16th in the Midwest
Webster University continues to be highly ranked on the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges report, now listed as 16th in Midwest Regional Universities and included in four best-of categories. This year, the University's score rose to its highest level since the ranking system was established.
Get Started on Your Program
Take the next step toward earning your degree. We are here to help.
Learn more about our accreditation, which applies to all of our campuses, regionally and beyond.
Find out how we support the more than 50% of undergraduates who transfer into our community.
Philosophy Department News
In the News: Schuster, Lewis, Palmer, LaFlore, Cooper and Magnus
May 11, 2022
This is a round up of news stories that include significant mentions of Webster University or quote Webster students,...
In the News: Croghan, Hall, Ellison, Athletics, Nursing Grant, Community Music School
April 11, 2022
In the News: Mahfood, Belo, Hughes, Smith, Roberts
March 14, 2022