About the Certificate in Illustration
The certificate in illustration offers students not seeking the more intensive BFA in illustration the opportunity to compliment their degree with a series of courses focused on illustration. As a supplement to their related major the certificate demonstrates greater experience in drawing and a practical knowledge of the common materials and techniques for illustration.
Successful graduates with the illustration certificate will be able to:
- Express an individual, creative voice through illustration.
- Access a broad range of studio experience.
- Utilize the formal vocabularies of illustration, art, design or animation.
- Practice drawing as a foundation for the complete process of illustration, from concept exploration to finished execution.
- Implement the technical skills, theory and methods applicable to the field of Illustration.
Students must fulfill all requirements needed for a BA in art, a BFA in art other than illustration, BFA in graphic design, or a BA in animation. Students may not gain the certificate in illustration if they are seeking the BFA illustration emphasis.
- ART 2130 Illustration (3 hours)
- DESN 1500 Digital Visualizations (3 hours)
- ART 3120 Narrative Figure Drawing (3 hours)
- ART 3050 Topics in Studio Art: Illustration (3 hours)
Choose from the following:
- ART 3150 Anatomy Studies (3 hours)
- ART 2410 Painting I (3 hours)
- ART 2610 Printmaking Concepts and Techniques (3 hours)
- ART 3140 Digital Drawing (3 hours)
- ART 3060 Text and Image (3 hours)
- DESN 2200 Design Play (3 hours)
- DESN 2500 Design for Digital Portfolios (3 hours)
- ANIM 4010 Character Design (3 hours)
- ANIM 4040 Concept Art (3 hours)
- ANIM 3040 Comic Book Creation (3 hours)
You may also be interested in our other art certificate offerings
Explore the Department of Art, Design and Art History degrees
Discover more about our relevant and hands-on curriculum across the spectrum of the visual arts.
Learn more about our accreditation, which applies to all of our campuses, regionally and beyond.
Find out how we support the more than 50% of undergraduates who transfer into our community.
Highlights from the Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts
News Around Webster: Carter, Curtis, Erb, Goedereis, Kwon, Stiles
May 4, 2022
Webster University Dance Ensemble Spring Concert April 29-May 1
April 22, 2022
Concerto/Aria Competition Winners Announced
April 19, 2022