Why the Community Music School?
- Quality: CMS teachers and conductors are professional musicians who are also master educators.
We evaluate faculty members before they're hired and on a continuing basis, to give
you the best music education possible.
- Location: Convenient locations with high-quality, safe facilities in Webster Groves, Chesterfield,
University City, and St. Louis City.
- Variety: All ability levels, all ages, all instruments of the band and orchestra, piano, guitar,
and voice. Programs for early childhood music through advanced chamber music.
- Performance opportunities: Monthly recitals give students the chance to polish and perform music for others.
The CMS covers the cost of the accompanist for all school recitals. We offer four
orchestras, percussion and jazz lab ensembles for school-aged musicians.
- Master classes and Coaching: Through the CMS Preparatory Program, the St. Louis Symphony, the St. Louis Classical
Guitar Society and other local partners, CMS students periodically have the opportunity
to participate in or observe master classes or coaching sessions with nationally and
internationally renown artists such as Pinchas Zuckerman, violin, Ron Leonard, cello,
Gabrielle Cassone, trumpet, Keith Aleo, percussion, Emanuel Ax piano, and many more.
- Tuition Assistance: Financial assistance & scholarships are available, both need-based and artistic merit-based.
- Affiliations: CMS students benefit through our partnerships with the Webster University Department of Music, the St. Louis Symphony, The Sheldon Concert Hall, St. Louis Public School District, and other arts and community organizations. The CMS benefits from the resources of membership in the National Guild for Community Arts Education and the National Association of Schools of Music.