CBASE at Webster
The CBASE, or College Basic Academic Subjects Examination, is a standardized test composed of four multiple-choice sections and a writing exercise which tests basic college-level competence in English (including a Writing subsection), Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies.
Passing scores of 235 on Writing, English, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies are required for teacher education candidates in the state of Missouri and hence for Webster undergraduate education majors as they progress toward teacher candidacy. However, Webster does not use the CBASE for any other assessment purposes. The Testing Center administers the CBASE to both Webster and non-Webster students during five statewide testing windows each year.
For more information about the CBASE in general, please consult the University of Missouri's CBASE information site.
Webster CBASE Testing for 2012-2013
Dates (all on Saturday):
June 15th, 2013
August 3rd, 2013- CHANGE OF LOCATION FOR THIS TEST DATE. INSTEAD OF SV #101 THE EXAM WILL BE PROCTORED IN EAB ROOMS # 152 AND #153.
September 14th, 2013 (RETAKE ONLY)
November 23rd, 2013 (RETAKE ONLY)
The September and November dates will be for retakes only. First time test takers will need to take the Missouri General Education Assessment (MoGEA), which is similar to CBASE with subtests in English/Writing, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies. The new test will be available starting September 18th, 2013. For more information and to register please go to www.mo.nesinc.com.
Students who may require non-Saturday testing due to either accommodations for a documented disability or religious reasons should contact the Testing Center in advance to make arrangements.
NOTE: In order to receive those accommodations you MUST be documented in advance with the ARC.
Location: Sverdrup Business/Technology Complex Room 101, 8300 Big Bend Blvd. (at Edgar)
Time: The entire CBASE is administered between 8:30 AM and 12:35 PM. Check-in for the entire CBASE and for the English/Writing retakes begins at 8:30 AM; the test itself will begin by 9 AM. Please note that if everyone is on time registering test may begin before 9am.
Students who are retaking parts of the test other than English/Writing should arrive at 9:45 AM and wait in the lounge opposite SV101 until admitted. (Note that those needing to retake English/Writing must arrive at 8:30 AM along with those taking the entire CBASE.)
What To Bring (Or Not)
When reporting to the test site, you will need a photo ID, such as a driver's license or student ID card. You may also wish to bring your own #2 pencils (although we have some available) and a hand-held, non-printing, 4-6-function calculator for the Math section. Food and drink are not allowed in the testing area; cell phones and similar devices will be collected at the beginning of the test and held until the test is completed. No other instructional aids will be allowed. We provide scratch paper.
Note that the test form will ask you for the hours of instruction you have completed since high school and the hours you have completed at your current institution, as well as (optionally) your ACT score. You may want to bring that information with you. You will also need to know your Social Security number.
How To Sign Up
1) We have to order test booklets 2-3 weeks before each CBASE administration, so we suggest that you call the ARC Testing Center (314-246-8225) at least three weeks in advance and ensure that your name is down for a given test date. After the booklets are ordered, additional test-takers will be accommodated as long as booklets are still available.
2) Full payment is due two weeks before the test date. Cost for testing is $50.00. You can pay by cash, check, or credit card at the Testing Center (we will give you a form to take to Webster's Business Office to make your payment and then show us the receipt) or by check or money order made out to Webster University and sent through the mail to the ARC Testing Center, 470 E. Lockwood Avenue, St. Louis MO 63119. This fee does not change if you are only taking part of the CBASE test.
3) Walk-in registration is allowed on or just before the day of the test if test materials and space are available. YOU MUST COME TO THE TEST WITH A RECEIPT SHOWING PROOF OF PAYMENT. WE WILL NOT DELAY STARTING THE TEST SO YOU CAN PAY AND BRING A RECEIPT. There is an additional late fee of $10.00 (making the total cost $60.00).
To pay your CBASE proctor fee online go to: https://commerce.cashnet.com/webstertestingcenter
4) Once you have taken the CBASE, you may retake only the parts “not passed,” except for English and Writing. Because the scores for both parts are drawn from both the Writing exercise and the English multiple-choice section, you must retake both sections to pass either. If you cannot pass all the parts of the CBASE within two years, you must retake the entire test.
5) You should receive your score report in the mail within 4-6 weeks of your testing date; a report will also be sent to whatever institution you specify on your test form. (The Testing Center does not have access to your scores.) Additional score reports will cost $10.00. The Testing Center does not have access to any information in regards to your scores. Please call CBASE administration directly for any questions/concerns.
Academic Resource Center
40 Loretto Hall
470 E. Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119
- Helpful Tips
- Course Exams
- Placement Tests
- CBASE at Webster
- Credit By Exam
- Frequently Asked Questions
- External Proctoring Services
- MoGEA Information
- Academic Resource Center Home
- Academic Counseling
- Writing Center
- Peer Tutoring
- Testing Center
- Faculty Resources
- Student Resources
- Meet Our Staff